Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A drawing is simply a line going for a walk. --Paul Klee

Spent the afternoon studying this compact and critically important primer. I first read it in the mid-'60s, a tattered and poorly translated "mimeo" copy borrowed from a teacher at SFAI. I was less impressed then than now--too young, I suppose, to appreciate such basic basics. This is really about the heart and spirit of drawing, of rendering both emotion and reason. 

I believe Paul Klee has influenced me more than any other teacher--his timeless pedagogy fills my head with ideas. And then, of course... Kandinsky.





Wow, I just found a free PDF download of both volumes of Klee's notebooks: The Thinking Eye and The Nature of NatureI just saved $400. Get your own copies here: http://www.farnamstreetblog.com/tag/art-history/



So much to learn, so little time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment