Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pastel Painting In Progress

work in progress, 42" x 42" (detail)

It's merely a study at this point, but I'm thinking it needs scale: 42" x 64" seems about right. On paper. Arches Reeves BKF comes in a roll that wide. I want a fawn or kraft color, which I'll over-wash with a thin cerulean blue ink with mercurochrome edges (!) Then I'll coat the paper with a clear sanded pastel ground. It should be mounted on birch panel with a 2" box edge. 
The first layer will block in quickly--probably Mount Vision stick pastels for good tooth. The stippling and sgraffito will take quite a lot of time--at least a month of steady work, but I'm looking forward to it. I think this one has legs.
 

Carbothello pastel pencils worn to stubs


Time to order more Carbothellos!

No comments:

Post a Comment